Thursday, July 28, 2011

My Afternoons

This is the promised continuation post from the My Morning post.

So the children are home at 1:30. There's an American lunch (Sandwich, pasta, etc.), as opposed to an Israeli lunch, (soup, chicken, sides), and then homework. I need to start work at about 3:45. If all is quiet I put in some more overtime earlier then that.

From 3:45-12:00, I need to work, make supper for the yeshiva, make supper for the kids, make supper for my husband and myself, and get everyone settled. I'm very lucky in that my husband is home from teaching from about 1:30-3:00 and again from 6:45-7:30 so he can help me out at the crazier times. Until then, I rely heavily on Bourbon. Just kidding. No, really.

Making supper is the hardest part. Ideally, I try to have the supper prepared before work so I can run into the kitchen, throw an already prepared pan into the oven, and run back to work. There are many other tips and tricks, you have to find what works for you. Some working women will put everything in a crock pot in the morning. Some will freeze 6 dinners on Sunday. Find what works for you to make your life easier!

I won't lie, it's hard. And when everyone is fed and in bed I breathe a sigh of relief that another day went off without a hitch.

I think it's important (and I'm talking to myself here too)for any busy Mom to look at her day and say, "In 10 years will my kids care that growing up the house was always spotless? Or that growing up their Mom was a crazy raving wreck?" Sometimes you need to be happy with just the bare minimum. Is it really that bad if supper one day was cereal and milk instead of seared fillet mignon with a charred pomegranate chutney? Think if your kids would rather the cereal and milk with happy Mom or the fancy dinner with loony Mom. If everyone got fed that day and everyone made it into bed happy that day, then that was a successful day. Anything else (like a spotless house, all laundry folded, all dishes washed, etc.) is extra. If it happened, great. If not, okay. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe not.

Just think what your kids will remember 10 years from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment